This is similar to what has been prescribed for the slave to do upon hearing that adhan;
- To repeat the phrases uttered during the adhan
- To say at its conclusion: I am content and pleased that Allah is my Lord, Islam is my religion, and Muhammed is the Messenger
- To ask Allah to grant the Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, the right of intercession and ascendency and to grant him (on the Day of Judgement) the best and the highest place in Paradise which You promised him
- Then to send salah upon him
- And finally to ask Allah for his needs
The prescribed five acts mentioned above should never be overlooked.
Inner Dimensions of the Prayer by Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah Page 65